The town of Beacon Falls, with a population of 6,049 is located in southwest Connecticut where it is bisected by the Naugatuck River. The area, 9.8 sq. miles, an Indian camping ground on which many relics such as arrowheads have been found, was first settled by colonists from Derby in 1678. The town was incorporated in 1871 on lands from each of the bordering towns: Bethany, Naugatuck, Oxford, and Seymour. Beacon Falls' principle industries include agriculture, warehouse storage and manufacture of plastic molding and small hardware.
Due to its strong sense of community, Beacon Falls was incorporated from Bethany, Oxford, Naugatuck, and Seymour in 1871. The first friction matches were made here in 1834 by Thomas Sanford, who later sold his "recipe" for $10.00; the Diamond Match Co. ultimately acquired the formula. The town was named after Beacon Hill, which historians say was a lookout for colonists to signal the movements of hostile Indians. To learn more about the history of the Town of Beacon Falls click here.