TOWN OF BEACON FALLS
TITLE: Highway Maintainer
DEPARTMENT: Department of Public Works
HOURS: 40 per week
Performs a variety of routine tasks in the construction, repair and maintenance of Town Roads,
Town Buildings, Town Properties, and all other related work as required.
Works under the supervision of The Public Works Foreman who makes all assignments and completes
work upon completion.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The examples as listed are descriptions of essential functions and are not necessarily all
inclusive. The omission of an essential function of work does not preclude management from
assigning duties not listed herein. Assigned duties,which are essential function of work not listed
herein, are permissible if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
• Perform labor tasks associated with the construction, repair and maintenance of Town
streets, sidewalks, sewers, recreation areas, Town owned properties and other projects.
• Shovel dirt, asphalt, mixes, snow, sand, and other materials
• Patch roads
• Mow grass and cut brush
• Lay pipes in ditches for drainage lines
• Load trucks
• Perform pipe and storm drainage work
• Clean catch basins
• Snow plowing and sanding
• Refuse collection, Bulky Waste, Litter, and Hazardous Household Collection
• Tree trimming and chipping
• Operate all Town equipment
• Maintain and repair all Town equipment
• Clean Town buildings and Town properties
HOURS OF WORK
7:00 am – 3:30 pm 5 days per week. Monday through Friday. Overtime required, when necessary, which
could include Saturday and/or Sunday and Holidays.
• Current, valid CDL License with valid medical card (Class A Preferred)
• Ability to operate and maintain road equipment
• Ability to perform tasks in both Street and Park divisions when priority is required
• Ability to understand and follow oral instructions
• Experience and knowledge of methods, techniques, materials and equipment for parks,
sports fields, grounds and building maintenance
• Experience with snow and ice removal equipment
• Knowledge of Town geography
• Sufficient strength and stamina to perform assigned duties
• High School or Trade School GED or Diploma, or ten (10) years of job-related
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to reach with hands,
arms; stand; walk and use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls. The
employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk and
listen. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities
required for this job include
close vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the
duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The employee is
occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions or risk of electrical shock, The noise level in
the work environment is
moderately quite in the office and moderate to loud in the field.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be
performed. The omission of specific statement of duties, does not exclude them from the position if
the work is similar, related or a logical assignment of the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee
and is subject to change as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
While the above job description is representative of what is required of the successful incumbent, the Town reserves the right to change, amend, revise or delete the job requirements that would constitute a natural extension or modification of the duties of the Highway Maintainer.
HOW TO APPLY
Send Beacon Falls Employment Application and Resume to: email@example.com | 203-876-2110